Wednesday, August 5, 2009

GPS Visual Aids

There's a lot of (and legitimate) talk about how a moving map GPS helps with orientation over unfamiliar terrain, and how great the "Direct-to" and "Nearest" buttons are; however, my favorite aspect almost every single flight is the extended runway center lines drawn on the map.
http://www.avionics.co.nz/images/gps296small.jpg
About anytime I'm out of sight of the airport, the green arrows extend out from the airfield and help me either stabilize for a straight-in, or orient myself to enter the pattern without having to visualize the geometry when I'm, by definition, in a high traffic area and should be scanning for traffic and doing all the other landing prep work.

When departing in a crosswind from an unfamiliar airport, it can be used to make sure I'm climbing out on the runway heading and not drifting, since looking below and behind my plane are equally challenging from inside.
http://www.visitingdc.com/images/chicago-at-night.jpg
With the exception of my night x-country training for Private Pilot, I've done all my night flying into or out of the little county airfield (KFSO) I'm based at with PCL or at the nearby Class-C Burlington Intl. (KBTV) which is also used by the VTANG F-16's. Still a majority of my night hours are at KBTV, but it still looks like a sea of lights at first most nights, and even picking out the beacon over the FBO doesn't help about half the time. A quick glance at the GPS display -- ok, it should be a couple miles out that way and pointing 20 degrees left -- and those extended centerlines gives me the hint I need to find the runway.
[synthetic+vision+rectangles.jpg]
On the otherhand, I have my doubts about Synthetic vision w/ Highway in the Sky.
I'll grant you that flying some odd, teardrop holding pattern in zero visibility solo is tricky, and this could help, the problem is that it would be far to easy to get your head stuck inside flying through those rectangles instead of scanning for traffic in VFR conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I still want this for my airplane, I'm just concerned that it will be used as an excuse for non-instrument pilots to fly into IMC instead of just used by them to fly out when they go in by accident.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Mountjoy said...

Is Highway in the Sky a real product? It really reminds me of the landing simulator in the old Aliens video game. Cool, and useful -- and, it looks like something from a flight sim....

8/30/2009 8:31 PM  
Blogger NerfSmuggler said...

It's real, but not universal, and I wouldn't be shocked if lawyers somewhere are battling about the ownership of the term.
Here's a pic from a Chelton display:
http://www.cheltonflightsystems.com/images/F3_560.jpg
It's a minor addition to the Synthetic Vision displays in new aircraft. Generally planes that cost north of $300,000. But check out the Diamond and the Cirrus:
http://www.diamondaircraft.com/news/news-article.php?id=17
http://www.airportjournals.com/Photos/0806/X/0806010_1.jpg
It really is like a video game in a sense, but instead of having to figure out where you're going to be for the next frame like in a flight game, it gets the info from the GPS and displays a view. Of course, the requirements are pretty stiff from the FAA ... it can't just crash every so often and it's gotta be accurate! The ILS approach to BTV takes you in fairly low over a ridge, and what's a little more scary in visibility, there is a peak just a little ways north that is higher than the flight path. You would not want the GPS or the SV display to be 'just a little off'. If you look close, you can see the peak inside the gray arrow that is 4088' and your minimum is 3700':
http://flightaware.com/resources/airport/BTV/IAP/ILS_DME+RWY+33/png/1

8/30/2009 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home